Friday, May 8, 2015
Our study of the inheritance of genes concludes with the creation of the "Bot-Family" photos. The creation of your Bot family was an exercise in gene transfer and the expression of genetic traits. Your task is to give a bit of family history on your "Bot Family" based on their geno- and phenotypes. Discuss mutations that may have been expressed by the parents and possiblly inherited by the children. Include your opinion on how this activity has helped to reinforce our learning and understanding of genetics and inheritance.
Friday, May 1, 2015
May Nature Connection Assignments
- My Nature Notes (2 a week, 8 a month), pg 153
- Go on a Nature Quest pg 154
- Picture of the Month pg 155
- Learning your Local Birds pg 160-161
- Spring Hay Fever (Read for information) pg 162-163
My Nature Notes worksheet download
Friday, April 17, 2015
Static electricity is something you have all experienced - maybe by accident or maybe on purpose. Watch the following video and visit the following websites to find out more information on this topic. You will be given a worksheet on which you will need to record your answers to the questions proposed.
Monday, April 13, 2015
- What claims does the author make for using the fruit fly for genetic studies?
- Why do scientists use these "model organisms" to help understand human genetics?
- Describe the fruit fly's attractive characteristics that makes it suitable for genetic study?
- What is the "Homebox"? What is its importance in the realm of genetics?
- How does your study of the transferring of genes through selective breeding help you better understand who you are as a human and as part of your family?
Due to testing, I won't be seeing you in class for two days. Here is the link to the assignment I would like you to complete by Wednesday class time.
Friday, April 10, 2015
Yesterday we learned about how the Earth is one giant, amazing magnet. You saw how compasses work and why it is that we have Aurora Borealis. It's time to take magnets one step further and see just how they affected technology in the past and present.
You have been assigned one of the following:
- cell phone
- early television (cathode ray tube)
- MRI machine
- ATM/credit card
- the history of this magnetic technology (founder; how it has changed; how it affected economy, culture, and society; etc.),
- the uses of your technology, and
- the science behind it (what type(s) of magnets are used; how the magnets make the technology work; etc.).
Our study of periodic trends has left us with a lot of trends about things we can barely see. This assignment will help you understand these trends on the macroscopic scale using something you consciously interact with every day... (surprise surprise) food.